Turning the Tide
8th Annual Native CDFI Capital Access Convening
Oweesta’s annual Native CDFI Capital Access Convening is a national event that brings together Native CDFIs, Native American Financial Institutions, partners, practitioners, funders, investors, and bankers for training and networking opportunities. 2023’s theme — Turning the Tide — reflected the unique moment in time and the role Native CDFIs play in helping local economies recover and realize their self-determination.
Over three days, the conference builds organizational capacity to access capital and markets for Native CDFIs and NAFIs and sparks strategic discussions around targeting capital to Native communities for potential funders, investors, and key partners. There are many opportunities to connect and invest in growing economies in Indian Country.
Relive this great multi-day event by accessing presentations below.
Revisit the Convening by reviewing presentations shared by session.
Day 1 ~ June 27
Convening Welcome and Opening Plenary
Breakout Session 1
- Understanding & Creating a CECL Model
- Advocating for Public Policies to Support Your Organization’s Vision
- Introducing Freddie Mac’s HeritageOne Mortgage
- Part I: Defining Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Breakout Session 2
- 3 Ds of Due Diligence: Defend, Develop, Decolonize Resilient Finance Model
- How to Get Started (Pilot) with Mortgage Lending with the Help of Partnerships
–Gabe del Rio
- New Markets Tax Credits: A Discussion of Legal & Tax Issues and Best Practices
Day 2 ~ June 28
Breakout Session 3
Breakout Session 4
- Bridging the Agricultural Lending Gap in Indian Country
- Increasing Homeownership Opportunities: USDA Rural Development & HUD ONAP
–USDA Rural Development
- DIY Economic Market Analysis
- Formalizing Coalitions and Partnerships
Day 3 ~ June 29
Breakout Session 6
- Part II: Cultivating Transformation Through a Lens of DEI
- Creative Affordable Housing Solutions: A Beginner’s Guide to Today’s Manufactured Homes
–Exploring the Cost
–Freddie Mac HeritageOne
- Understanding Asset & Liability Management and Liquidity