Position Title: Communications Officer
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Job Level: Exempt
Oweesta Corporation is a certified national Native community development financial institution. Oweesta’s programs and services include lending, capacity building, and financial education and asset building. Oweesta focuses on the development of strong Native institutions and asset building programs and our mission is to provide opportunities for Native people to develop financial assets and create wealth by assisting in the establishment of strong, permanent institutions and programs contributing to economic independence and strengthening sovereignty for all Native communities. Oweesta is currently seeking a qualified applicant for the following position.
The Communications Officer reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and is responsible for short- and long-term planning and implementation of Oweesta’s marketing & communications program and strategic communications plan in coordination with the team, as well as creation and execution of marketing strategies, campaigns, and initiatives that continuously reach and expand Oweesta’s audience, enrich client/partner/investor experience, and fuel the growth, scale, and impact of the Oweesta mission.
We are seeking an outstanding writer and editor who can quickly digest complex content and produce high quality materials for a variety of audiences. The Communications Officer conducts public relations, marketing, and communications services and provides support for fundraising and programmatic activities, grantwriting, impact collection and reporting assistance to the Oweesta team. This individual will work and coordinate across programmatic areas/projects, requiring the ability to independently set priorities and manage time well.
Oweesta’s Communications Office is the voice across all digital and social media platforms; responsible for content creation and execution across all our channels, which include: Oweesta’s website (www.oweesta.org), social media, email marketing communications. The Communications Officer is tasked with continuously improving the quality and quantity of our content by monitoring and increasing engagement and performance using analytic tools. Expert copywriting and editorial skills, as well as social media expertise/best practices are a must. Candidates should also be current on relevant news and trends – a genuine interest in economic development and Native communities is a plus.
This person must display:
- Passion, positivity, and strong team skills
- Client facing and desire to grow professionally
- Internal motivation and time management skills
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write and design attractive email blasts, program advertisements, and press releases.
- Help develop and implement (with team) strategic communications plan (including annual planning and budgeting); providing strategic thought leadership
- Develop and maintain comprehensive marketing/social media/communications calendar outlining communication timelines, content, and department resources involved
- Works with Communications and other Oweesta staff to market Oweesta’s other services and products to potential and existing clients.
- Plan, direct and execute corporate and initiative-based marketing and communications plans in coordination with departments/contract managers
- Oversee, local, regional and national public relations efforts as part of larger plan(s), including scanning news coverage of CDFI and Native economic development work and Oweesta and identify opportunities for contributions
- Ensure public relations, advertising and marketing efforts are timely and consistent with national programs, services, and policy as derived from our staff and constituents
- Make arrangements for broadcast and print interviews for staff – assist staff in identifying speaking opportunities based on areas of expertise and help draft submissions to relevant conferences; assist staff in developing dynamic and compelling presentations for meetings/public speaking as needed
- Maintain positive working relationships with Oweesta partners, Federal agencies, Native/tribal leaders, and other representatives
- Develop and serve as Editor-in-Chief of regular Oweesta and community development newsletters
- Manage content for Oweesta-based websites, social media (including managing FBLive), physical marketing materials, etc. in conjunction with staff
- Monitor and ensure all organizational communications/marketing have unified brand identity and meet high standards; define and implement a brand strategy
- Provide graphic design, web design, and photography support as needed to develop and maintain materials, and to develop and implement specific projects or campaigns
- Support national conferences/events put on by Oweesta for branding/communications/marketing and logistical support as needed
- Works with other staff on interdisciplinary efforts and performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience preferred (preferably in English, Journalism, or Communications).
- Minimum three years’ experience in a communications/marketing position in similar organization/field, preferably with national scope and/or with a Native nonprofit.
- Experience in Native community/economic development helpful and with Native communities is highly desirable.
- Strong media/Native media contacts are helpful
- Critical and creative thinker who can work/problem-solve thoughtfully, with strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Hardworking, motivated, and self-directed; able to meet timelines
- Superior copywriting and editorial skills – with attention to detail and ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to use following tools a plus: Adobe Creative Suite, MailChimp, social media management/analytics platforms, WordPress, Social Media Platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Ability to manage video creation, including planning, script writing, coordination
- Experience in creating/managing website content, with an understanding of web analytics and search engine optimization
- CRM experience welcomed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong written and verbal communications skills required.
- Strong visual sensibility
- Excellent computer skills (including experience with WordPress, InDesign, PPT highly desirable)
- Some awareness of the complexities and challenges of community development finance and small business development in Native communities.
- Strong business and customer service skills required.
- Ability to work constructively with diverse constituents and as a participant on multi-disciplinary teams required.
- Ability to travel required.
- No extraordinary physical requirements beyond ability to travel. Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position. Oweesta supports and complies with ADA.
Oweesta offers competitive salaries and benefits including health, dental, life and disability insurance and a Simple IRA pension plan with up to 3% match by Oweesta (100% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer). Oweesta also offers a generous time off program, parental leave, summer hours, and professional development opportunities.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and 3 professional writing samples to Krystal Langholz, Chief Operating Officer of Oweesta, at Krystal@oweesta.org.